Orthodontic Treatment for Children and Teens
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that children visit an orthodontist by age 7. By this age, all of your child’s permanent incisors (front teeth) have erupted, as well as a few first molars. If inadequate spacing exists, some of these new teeth could become impacted, or unable to erupt.
Before and After
Early screening and treatment allows us to do the following:
- Reduce displaced or blocked permanent teeth and guide them into desirable positions
- Direct jaw growth and regulate the width of dental arches
- Decrease harmful oral habits, such as thumb sucking, and abnormal swallowing or speech problems
- Simplify and shorten treatment time
- Improve aesthetics of your smile and increase self-esteem
If your child shows signs of the following problems or habits, call us today to schedule a consultation:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Problems chewing or biting
- Displaced or block teeth
- Biting the cheek or roof of the mouth
- Thumb or finger sucking
- Mouth breathing
- Jaws or teeth that are disproportionate
Orthodontic treatment can be recommended and initiated as early as 7 years of age. Early treatment generally lasts 12–14 months and is focused on specific treatment goals. Early treatment is often very helpful to aid and promote the following:
- Alignment of the front teeth and provided space for the eruption of developing permanent teeth
- Correction of crossbites
- Improved tooth positions to reduce chance of trauma
- Over bite correction
While early treatment can offer great benefits, full treatment may be recommended once all the permanent teeth are erupted.
This is orthodontic treatment that is initiated when a patient has few or no baby teeth remaining. For girls, this is around 10–12 years old and for boys 12–14 years old. Full treatment generally lasts 24–27 months and includes braces on all available permanent teeth.
Schedule your child’s complimentary orthodontic consultation today!
- Cosmetic braces
- No money down
- No interest monthly payments